Thursday, August 15, 2013

MANTLES


I don't know about you, but decorating the mantle is a huge challenge for me.
I visit your wonderful blogs and see so much inspiration. You guys make it look so easy. :)

I always blame "my problems" on the mantle being too large. My husband built it shortly after we moved in the house. We have 9 foot ceilings, so the mantle had to be built big enough that it would look substantial. 




This is the way it looked when we moved in. Not much room for anything up there.



I have had several emails asking information about the clock. We bought it at Kirklands about four years ago and I have to say it was my best find ever! :) Love that clock and even after all this time we haven't got tired of looking at it. 
When I decorate the mantle, I always try to work around it.




Don't get me wrong, I love decorating it, but I have such a hard time figuring out what decor to use that most of the time I just keep it like this.



For the last year or so, I got brave :) and started changing the mantle decor for the different seasons.
It still takes me several days to get it done. :) 

This is how I decorated it for Summer and what it looks like right now. I tried to change it for Spring, but it was such a disaster that I gave up half way through. LOL



 This was Fall 2012



 And last Christmas.



Before then, I tried many times and you can see my pitiful attempts in the next pictures. LOL



And now, I have Fall in my thoughts.  
I figured if I start planning now, I may have my Fall mantle finished sometime in October. LOL  Have no clue what I will do and don't be surprised if it ends up looking like last year.


How about you? Are you already thinking and planning Fall and Holiday decor? Hurry up! I need some inspiration! :)

See you all soon!





15 comments:

  1. I don't see where you have a problem at all - they all look beautiful!!!
    Please don't think of Fall yet- I'm forbidding it LOL
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mantels can be difficult, Maria Elena. I usually keep mine the same {except at Christmas} the whole year. Plus, I like the way it looks so I don't feel the need to change it up often. Mine is quite narrow so I'm limited to how much I can put on it anyway. I think the most difficult thing is to make sure it doesn't look like a parade. : ) I always have to step back and make sure I've varied the height of things along its length.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry but it's going to me a while longer before I start on Fall decorating! It's still SOoo hot here that I just can't do it, mentally or physically! By physically, I mean going outside and digging though the outside storage area to get all the décor out! I think your mantels look very nice! All of them are very balanced and pulls the eye to all the nice décor displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm already thinking fall too, Maria! I think it's our horribly hot temperatures that make us long for cooler temps! I think your mantels look fabulous (even the ones you think are failures)! I always have a hard time changing mine too! Like you, I never changed mine except for the holidays and this past year I've been changing it a lot more. It's hard!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all your mantels look great, even the ones you didn't like! Your home is beautiful and you can tell that you take great pride in making it look nice. You inspire me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mantel looks amazing in all the pics. I think having something beautiful like that clock, that stays put is a great idea. Why change something that's great?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mantel all by itself is just beautiful and I enjoyed looking at it through the season. I can't pick a favorite because each is perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think you do beautiful mantle displays. Sitting opposite mine now, I am positively ashamed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your mantle!!! So pretty in every season!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love your mantel decorating. I'm still enjoying summer so I'm not thinking about fall yet, but I have so many things i will probably revive something when I'm ready. I like to mix up a new formula each season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think all the pics of your mantle are pretty! I especially love the Fall look you did. So pretty and it makes me want cooler temps to hurry up and make their way to Tx.! I just recently started decorating the mantle for all the holidays too. I used to only decorate it for Christmas. Love the clock too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maria, you've heard me say, that I always struggle when decorating my mantle. Sometimes, I enjoy mine asymmetrical and other times I really like it balanced identically. Tonight, I'm loving your green plate on the right side...it goes well with everything on the mantle.

    Thanks,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mantle is amazing and it looks beautiful. I really love that big clock, too. Kirklands? What a find! Hope you have a good night, ME! Sounds like you are feeling better- xo Diana ps. That is really a nice room-

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think all of your mantels have been just lovely. You shouldn't feel badly about a single one. And, yes, I am most definitely looking ahead to Fall decorating -- I absolutely can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...