Wednesday, August 7, 2013

BACK PORCH UPDATE


Hello, there!
I hope everyone's week is going well.

Over here, we are still dealing with triple digit temperatures and it looks like the heat is not going away any time soon, but slowly and as the weather permits, we continue with our porch remodeling.

So far, nothing pretty to show you yet, but I wanted to share our progress.
While I have been sick for the last two weeks, my husband has continued working on it when he could and he was able to finish the water drainage system that he invented and the good news is, it works really well. 

Since getting rain in Texas this time of the year would be a real miracle, we had to try it using the hose from the upstairs balcony. Yes, the neighbors are really talking about us! LOL 

This is how it works. The water runs from the metal sheets into the pipes. He used all kinds of different materials underneath to prevent leaking.




The pipes run all along the length of the porch.



And they connect at the end into the water drain pipe that is original to the house.



Clever, right?
Now, all these pipes will be covered as we enclose the ceiling and to do so, we purchased this material.
We really like the bead board look. It is what we always pictured.
The nice thing about these planks is that they interlock, so there won't be any visible seams.





Now we are in the process on painting them. I am using Kilim beige which is the same color we have inside our home. This color is by SW, but Lowe's was able to match in up for us on an outdoor paint.



And now, we are in the process of painting all 110 boards.
Yeah! I know! :)



This is how the final product will look if we do everything right.

Google Images

I think it will look nice with a couple of these.


And then we will be ready to install the flooring.
We are planning to use this new colonial wood walnut ceramic tile 
that has the rustic look of scraped-wood plank flooring.



Google Images 
 
After all this is said and done, we will enclose the porch and hope to be able to achieve a nice outdoor space, dry, cooler in the Summer months and free of bugs!

Tuesdays at Our Home is still live if you would like to stop by for a visit and get some wonderful inspiration.

Enjoy the rest of your week.
See you soon!



17 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That piping system is very impressive. Love the beadboard--but painting them sound like a process. Smart to do it ahead of installation. Excited to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. truly clever! Can't wait to see it all done, I know it's gonna look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's coming along great, Maria! I am always so impressed by your husband's construction efforts!! It's going to be so wonderful!!! Glad you're feeling better!~~Ang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wow , that is quite a system! Love that bead board. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria, it's so good to hear that you are able to help with the painting. It looks and sounds as if your porch is going to be fantastic. Did you mean that y'all will enclose the porch with screening material or will it be glassed in? Either way, I know it will be great.

    Thanks,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- That is GREAT!!!! I am glad you are feeling better and can be involved in a project. Can't wait to see more! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive water drainage system. Your porch is going to look so good. I cannot wait to see it decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! And so glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever drainage system, indeed! I love the material you chose for the ceiling. Are you going to enclose it with screens? You're going to have so much fun decorating this space when it's done. :) Can't wait for the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this post means you're feeling better. A great blog post like this takes a LOT of energy! I think your husband and you are so well suited (bet you already knew that, though.) He's a really smart guy with a ton of energy just like you, right? I've been envious of southern covered screened-in porches for quite some time, and now I can be envious of yours too! I'm enjoying seeing how you're doing it and will love seeing the finished result. Don't overdo it, now, and I hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Hubby is very creative! I want a screened in porch and my hubby is a building contractor, think I will get it? I don't even have a covered porch yet! I love all the materials you are using something I have been looking at also and I am looking forward to seeing the finished project as I know you are too. Hope you are feeling better?
    BettyMarie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your porch is going to be more awesome than it already is! The beadboard ceiling and tile flooring look like they will be beautiful and easy to maintain. It's going to be a great place for sitting and sipping.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very clever with the water drainage. It's going to be beautiful when it is all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks fabulous! Lots of hard work but it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow thats fabulous... love every detail and the drainage idea is Genius..

    I especially love the flooring.. may I ask please where you got it and do they have other colors? was it difficult to put down? I would love to have that in my foyer...

    thanks and I hope I'm not being too nosy lol.

    xoxo
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...