Friday, April 4, 2014

UPDATING THE LIVING ROOM


Hello, everyone.
I have been working on this project for a few weeks now and although is not quite finished yet, 
 I will share with you what I got so far.

I did start thinking about making changes in this room last year, but I did not quite know how to go about it.
I was a little tired of the gold and red color combo, but I could not figure out how to change it
due to the color being part of the sofa. I don't know what I was thinking when we bought it!

Summer came and went, we celebrated Thanksgiving, my son came back from deployment 
and we got ready to celebrate Christmas. 
This project was always in the back of my mind.

And then I did a post to show you my Christmas tree.
Well, that same evening, I received an anonymous comment that, needless to say, was NOT very nice.
This person went on and on about how dated and horrible my living room was, that I should be embarrassed to even post pictures of it on my blog and he/she went as far as telling me that this room looked like 
something out of the Bates Motel. Yikes!!!

 Geez! There was no need for all that!
Did it hurt my feelings? Yes, it did, but it also opened my eyes and being the good blogger I am 
and always open to advice (although I prefer to be told in a nicer way), I decided that my suspicions were right 
and it was time to update this room a bit.

 This is the way my living room looked.


 And this is the living room now.




 I gave myself a two hundred dollar limit to change this room and so far, I still have money left. :)
Let me take you through the steps of what I did to update the room. It sure has been an XL DIY project. :)
Warning, lots of pictures, so get a cup of coffee and let me know when you had enough. LOL

If you look closely to the before picture, you will see that the large pillows that form the back of the sofa set were in different colors, so I knew that before I could make any changes, those pillows had to be reupholstered.
You have no idea what a challenge it was to find the same fabric as the color of the sofa!
It took us weeks and when I was about ready to give up, my husband found it in an upholstery warehouse downtown.

While I was waiting to locate the fabric, I took all the valances off the windows, bought three new rods and installed bronze grommets on all my existing drapes. 







Once I had the gold fabric, I found the other two fabrics at Hobby Lobby. It was pretty pricey, but with 
the 40% off coupon, I was able to stay within my budget.

 And then I spent two full weeks sewing. :)
Instead of covering permanently all the original pillows, I made large pillow covers for each one of them.











 And using some of the same fabric, we recovered the ottoman and added nail heads to it for a more modern look.





And using some pretty burlap flowers I found at HL, 
I made an arrangement to display on the tray my husband made.








On the end tables, you will find the same lamps I bought at Kirklands years ago, the candle holders I brought in from my library and two distressed wood off white frames with black and white pictures of our parents.







And the room has looked like this for several weeks now.

Until I made the sunflower in the same colors this past week.





I was able to make these changes for about $160.00.
That includes all the hardware.
I don't have to tell you I have used lots of coupons in the last month. :)

Now I am searching for the perfect rug and a small chest or table to put next to the single chair.
I know what I want, hopefully I will be able to find it.
Taking my time getting rid of the Bates Motel look! :)

I am also working now on the dinning room area. Big changes coming soon!
Thank you all for visiting and taking this long tour of my living room.
It is always a pleasure to read your comments.
See you all soon!





Sharing with:





26 comments:

  1. Oh I love your changes, the drapes look amazing hung by themself and the grommets are a great update to them too. The pillows are fabulous, I really like your patterns ones, they are a great color combo with the rest of the room. Everything looks amazing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks absolutely beautiful Maria Elena! love the patterns on the pillow and of course that new wall art ties everything in all together!!!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. applause applause.. I do have to say I ADORE the changes.. wow what a Transformation.
    you did great Miss~!!

    as to the bad comment- sorry you got hurt by it but if you're anything like me- a sweet kind slight suggestion doesnt have the same impact and call to action as a bold sorta offensive one does:) it makes us take a hard serious look at something. angels often appear in the oddest clothing or they do to me ..
    again, it looks Fabulous~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your living room looks so pretty! You really have an eye for decorating. I love the new pillows and the ottoman and tray add such a nice touch. Y'all did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maria! Oh, your living room is just beautiful! I love all you've done - the new drapes and the change out of the throw pillows really make a difference. It was gorgeous before but even more gorgeous now!
    Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room looks lovely and best of all you did it yourself. As to that comment, well some people are just ugly. They somehow learned that if they can't say something nice, just keep it zipped. I'm glad you were able to take the negative and turn it into something positive. {I still have red and yellow in my living room so they can pick on me next:-) }

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful!!!! I love the fabric of the pillows. My couch is somewhat of a gold color so this would look great in my living room. But I don't know where to go with my drapes as they will have to be replaced! When you put in the grommets it really changed the look of the drapes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your changes to your room. Adding grommets to the drapes you had was such a money saver. My favorite addition is the arrangement of burlap flowers. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks beautiful, Maria Elena! (I can't believe someone was that rude!) I love the pretty sunflower you made and you've inspired me with your drapes. Our living room windows have the same angles & I've always used 6 curtains and wondered if I could do less. I see that I can & I think I actually prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful, Maria Elena! Love your new fabric ... the drapes are fabulous ... and, the ottoman, well, you already know how envious I am of your talent (awesome tray, too ... your husband and you make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out so gorgeous and WOW what you did with your budget!!! I am looking for the perfect fabric for a few re-do's and I can't believe how expensive fabric has gotten. It's cheaper to buy ready made... except I know what I want and can't find it. You are an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It never ceases to amaze me how rude and hurtful people can be! I just can not believe someone would say such awful things! I look at a lot of blogs and enjoy seeing everyone's projects and photos of their home, even though it may now be my style, I admire the fact that people are wanting to make their homes pretty and homey. Even though your "before" wasn't my cup of tea, I would not describe it as horrible or dated. Your home seems so clean and well kept and I can tell you really love your home and family. I think you responded much better than I would have. I think we should decorate our homes in a way that makes us happy and content. It won't be what everyone likes, but that's what makes us all individuals. The world would be so boring if we all had the same tastes and styles. I do really like the "after" look and I think you and your husband worked beautifully together to do a great job. You should be very proud. I would like to see a little greenery, maybe an ivy on your table and maybe a floor plant even if it is artificial. I think it would warm the room. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well your changes are wonderful. I can't believe you could accomplish all that for so little! I'm stunned that someone wrote such mean remarks to you. I guess someone's hormones need a check! What is that phrase- if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all! You handled it with grace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all your changes the colors are very pretty…and the patterns on the pillows….great choice… Thank you for sharing at One More Time Events…hugs…Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. The changed living room is very lovely but I can't believe that someone would say all of that about the "before' room which was actually quite lovely too! Tasteful and elegant! I admire your taste both ways...and your talent. That ottoman looks amazing with the nailheads ...the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your room is absolutely lovely - modern, fresh and very stylish - you did a wonderful job !
    As for the 'anon' comment - Bates Motel ?? Really ?? Someone has way too much time on their hands, and was feeling in a funky mood that day....
    Ignore the haters - they're everywhere - don't even give them the time of day ! Sad.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing changes! At first glance, I just thought you went out and bought new pillows, drapes, etc but upon reading, I see you DIY'ed everything! Such talent! Your room now looks very modern and definitely updated. The sunflower design you made for the wall is such a dramatic piece and adds a lot to the room. I've just discovered your blog and am off to see other posts as I can see I "like your style"!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the changes you have made, so light and airy and I love your pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The changes you made to your living room are beautiful. However I cannot believe someone could be so nasty to you. Your former living room was beautiful too. Your home is amazing, you and your husband have such talent and skills. Love the oterman and pillows, sure wished I could sew.
    You definitely have an eye for beautiful living.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The changes you made to your living room are beautiful. However I cannot believe someone could be so nasty to you. Your former living room was beautiful too. Your home is amazing, you and your husband have such talent and skills. Love the oterman and pillows, sure wished I could sew.
    You definitely have an eye for beautiful living.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your living room update is beautiful Maria Elena. I'm thinking of adding nail head trim to my couch but I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to make it look straight and what a mess that would be! Thanks for sharing your space.
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job!

    Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, Love, LOVE the changes. It makes it brighter but in a different way, you know me I like a more natural tone pallet, which this is yet it's so bright! I wanted to let you know that I am featuring your post tomorrow on Tuesday's with a Twist so please stop by to take a peek. Thank you again and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, love the new color scheme and fabric, it REALLY updates your room and looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You did a GREAT job! What a wonderful update--and I admire your budget! Thanks so much for linking to Grace at Home. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your living room looks beautiful, love all of the updates!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...