Thursday, April 3, 2014

IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT, MAKE IT YOURSELF


Where has this week gone?
Sometimes regular life takes over and it doesn't leave time for much else.
I am sorry for my lack of posting. :(
But before this week ends, I want to share with you a little DIY project.
I have been remodeling our formal living room, I am almost done, but not quite there yet. 

You all know that the moment you change a small decor item in your home, it is like chain reaction, 
you have to start moving or changing everything else. :)
Well, that was the case with this project. 

Since I changed the colors in the room, some of the items I had didn't look very nice, 
the picture over the sofa was one of them. 
After looking around for a couple of weeks and not finding anything we really liked, I decided to make my own using the picture I already had up there and everything I had at home, so this project was completely free.



Remember my old picture?



I took it apart. Painted the frame metallic bronze
and covered the whole thing with drop cloth.




It took me a couple of days of thinking what to do next.
First I thought of stenciling, but I wanted something a little nicer, so I made a sunflower wreath using cardboard, metallic craft paper and burlap ribbon.



First I cut an 18 inch circle out of cardboard, it doesn't have to be perfect, since it will be all covered.
And I cut a second smaller circle for the center.


These are the material I used.


I made a leaf pattern and sat down and cut leaves for a good hour. :)




After that is done, it is very easy.
Using a little drop of hot glue, just start forming your flower in any pattern you would like.




 And I added a small matching ribbon to finish it off.




I love the way these colors look against the drop cloth.





And that's it! Very simple.
I will share with you soon the other changes I made to the living room.
Until then, have a super great weekend!


Sharing with:



13 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! Metallics are hot and very trendy! You are so right about creating what you want if you can't find it. I do that all the time! You go Maria Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath is absolutely gorgeous Maria Elena!!! I still need to make one for spring you know, and this is truly inspirational! I just might have to copy it! thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so creative! I love the new wreath and how neat that you used things you already had on hand. Those are the best kinds of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the room looks fabulous and really like the new pillows! Great job on the ottoman, too! The wreath is gorgeous -- now you have my mind spinning which is very dangerous!

    Now about that "oh so rude person," give me a break! My grandmother always said, "If you don't have something good to say, then don't say anything." I have only had one or two rude and negative comments in the years that I've been blogging, and they have always been anonymous. Sounds like a very cowardly thing to do. I hope you feel me giving you a hug and saying "Pooh on them!" Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria Elena, I love your wreath it is gorgeous and you make it look so easy to make... I have been trying to come up with an idea for a wall in our home and I think this would be perfect. Thank you so much for sharing your how to... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I love the color scheme!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completely in love with the wreath. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this wreath! How fun and thrifty!! I shared it on G+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/103188356492940862007/posts/p/pub) today as well as FB (https://www.facebook.com/thethriftygroove) and even Pinterest! (http://www.pinterest.com/thriftygroove/). Thank you for sharing this with us at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was very easy to make. So happy you like it!

      Delete
  9. Lovely, really adds a spark!! Have a great weekend! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous idea!!!
    HAVE to pin this - just love it!
    Visiting from Three Mango Seeds,
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...