Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A VEGETABLE STAND FOR THE PANTRY


Every year after the holidays I like to give my pantry a good cleaning and organize all our supplies.
A couple of years ago I added some plastic bins from Dollar Tree and it has proven to be the best thing I ever did.
The pantry has stayed very well organized since then.






But even then, I am always looking for ways to make this space better. 
This year, I added a vegetable stand to our pantry.



It was last July when browsing on Hometalk I came across this great DIY vegetable stand project posted by Robin at Redo It Yourself Inspirations. It caught my eye because I already had the needed stand to recreate this project.

It has actually been sitting in my storage room for the last almost nine years we have lived in this house.
My husband made this blanket rack over twenty years ago and it always sat in our bedroom with a pretty 
throw blanket over it. And then I grew tired of it and into the storage closet it went.

He has  been trying to make me throw it away for a looong while now. 
Every time we clean our storage closet, he asks me to get rid of it.
But I refused, because I knew one day I would find a good way to use it. I am so glad I didn't listen. :)



But I soon put this idea out of my mind when I started pricing the metal baskets. 
I wanted at least six and the cheapest I ever found were just under $20.00 each.
Call me cheap, but I was not about to spend $120.00 to make this happen.

An then, one evening while visiting my dear fellow bloggers on Instagram I saw this post 
I almost jumped out of my seat. Beautiful metal baskets at Walmart for $1.98 each!!!
 The only thing that kept me from running to Walmart right there and then was the fact that it was nine o'clock at night and it was pouring rain. LOL
But the next morning I was out of the house bright and early in search of these baskets. It took me a couple of tries and could never find the rose gold ones which I really wanted, but I found the gold ones which they were just as pretty.
You can view the baskets here.
Thank you so much Vel for sharing this great find!



And they were a perfect fit!


Now that I was up and running, it was time to make room in the pantry. And for that I needed the man of the house to cut a couple of the metal shelves to make room for my "new" stand.



Once it was done, I patched the holes and gave the wall a new coat of paint.




 I added the baskets to the blanket rack, filled it with all the fruits and veggies and we were done.








And to make it a little nicer to look at, I made a little sign to place over the rack, which I painted the same color 
as the one over the freezer.




 It has been in our pantry several weeks now and it is so convenient to grab items while I am cooking or put them away when I get home from the grocery store.

What do you think?
Total cost of this project was $12.98 for the baskets and about an hour of my time.
I didn't even repaint the old rack. It has scratches here and there, but I think it gives it some character. :)




And that is it for today!
It is a cold and rainy day in San Antonio, so I am staying home and plan to work on my mantle.
It has been quite empty since Christmas.
Wish me luck! :)
See you all soon!





Sharing at:


16 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!! You are very clever to create that. It looks pretty and it's very useful and convenient! Thanks for sharing this Maria Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I saw those baskets at Walmart too and almost bought some just to have for future projects. I may still go back and snag a few. :) They really worked perfectly with your storage system. I cleaned out my pantry after Christmas too. So many things had to be thrown away after the holidays. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for repurposing an old quilt stand. Those baskets are PERFECT. I like a neatly organized pantry, too. Those little plastic bins work great, don't they? AND you have a small freezer in there, too. That must work out great! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I love it when ideas from fellow bloggers inspire a big idea...and a useful and attractive one at that! Great space and great new rack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant! I love it. My pantries are both too small to do this however. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! You always have the best ideas and execute them wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome Maria. How creative to re love an old quilt rack into a wonderful storage rack for your pantry. Love all your pantry signs too.
    You go girl this is fabulous!
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness - absolutely brilliant! Your pantry is awesome and I love love love your new DIY!!! It's so nice your hubs made that wonderful rack and you finally made it the perfect thing to use to create this farm fresh storage area. Well done, ME - it's a fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm jealous that I don't have room in my pantry for something like that....so cool! Just kidding about being jealous...well, kinda!

    Warm hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had your pantry. What a great treasure and it looks wonderful in your pantry. Lucky you with your handy dandy husband. Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that was a great transformation! Isn't it wonderful that you never let it go! Love your pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pantry looks fabulous! I clean mine every January as well. I've been so busy helping with an estate sale that I haven't gotten to it. A few years ago I bought baskets at our thrift shop and they have been great to keep things organized as well. Mine is so small. One of the crazy mistakes the builders did with this home. :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria, That was a great project. I understand holding onto things for just the right time. Sometimes it works other times it`s a matter of how long. I think you did a great job with the vegetable rack. It was great to get the deal on the baskets. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...