Wednesday, November 14, 2012

BEST CAKE RECIPE EVER


Happy Wednesday!

Love this day in the middle of the week! Why?
Because Wednesdays is the day I get to stay home all day and after 
my morning cleaning and cooking, I get to have the time to work on my crafts 
or, spend a little time blogging and visiting all of your wonderful weekly post.

The last couple of weekends have been busy for us preparing
for the upcoming Holiday next week, so no projects going on around here at this time, 
but I had this post I wanted to share with you all.

A couple of months ago I came across this wonderful recipe.
Pattie, from Olla-Podrida shared this awesome recipe for Deep Butter Cake.
This family of mine has a big sweet tooth, well, minus my youngest son,
who I don't think has ever had a piece of cake in his life, not even on his birthday,
I know! Crazy, right? LOL
 I knew this would be a recipe I would have to try and I did!

Just look at this cake!!!



This recipe is Pattie's own adaptation of 
Helfer's Pastry Shop's Deep Butter Cake and I think the secret ingredient for this recipe
is the Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor you can find  here.
She said it could be found in most supermarkets, but I was not successful,
so I just ordered it on line. It is the best flavoring I had ever tried in my life! 
So worth the extra few dollars!


 You will need a 9x9 non stick pan


 And, I think using unsalted butter is another reason it is so good!
This is the one I used.


Deep Butter Cake
from Helfer's Pastries and Deli Cafe adapted by Pattie Tierney

For crumb mixture:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor
1 cup all-purpose flour

For batter:

11/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Butter Sweet Dough Flavor
13/4 cups cake flour
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Prepare the crumb mixture. In a small mixer bowl, beat together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter until fluffy. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring and all-purpose flour; beat at low speed just until crumbly. Cover and refrigerate.

Prepare the batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
Grease and flour an 8-inch-square baking pan.

Combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1 cup butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixer bowl; beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add eggs; beat on high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until light.

Combine milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring. Alternately add cake flour and milk mixture to batter, starting and ending with flour. Beat on low speed, scraping sides of bowl, until well mixed.

Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly in prepared pan. Spread batter over crumb mixture. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until top is deep golden brown and cake tests done in the center with a wooden pick. Cool 5 minutes.

Place a flat plate or cake board on top of the pan. Hold the pan and plate together securely; turn over. Carefully remove the pan. (The crumb side is now the top of the cake.) Dust with powdered sugar.

Here you can see my step by step process










Now, if you are on a diet or watching your calories,
I do NOT recommend you even look at this pictures!!! :)
I have no idea how many calories in just one slice, but it can not be good!!!

I have already emailed Pattie to thank her for sharing this recipe,
but I want to thank her again, since I think this Butter Cake will be
 a family favorite for a long time to come.

Once again, you can find her original recipe here: Deep Butter Cake 

I hope you give it a try! You won't be disappointed!
Thank you all for stopping by and see you soon!
Enjoy the rest of your week!










13 comments:

  1. Wow Maria..this makes me want to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I'm adding this one to my recipe files!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone said cake so I came right over...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should run, but I just love cake! This recipe looks delicious. Now I feel like baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how you can just tell that something is sinfully delicious? Well, I can tell. This is it! Looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "Deep Butter Cake"! Oh my gosh...I'm a cake fanatic, I must say. I have never understood those people who don't eat sweets! lol
    I'm very curious about this extract that you ordered. I think I'll order it too, because I really want to make the cake, and I'm assuming that the extract would work well it lots of other baked things.
    Thank you for this post! :)
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious. I may have to make that for Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maria! OH, this cake looks so delicious. I have to admit, I have a sweet tooth too and a tiny little slice would be so good with my tea this morning. Thanks for the recipe and for poppingin to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so yummy. Sure makes me wish I wasn't on a gluten free diet. SIGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That looks amazing and I bet it tasted incredible. I am your newest GFC follower. Thanks so much for stopping by Posed Perfection today and leaving me a sweet comment about the Decorated Clothespins. I'd love for you to visit again and maybe even follow me back. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK.... I pinned it because I have to make it. And I have to make it apparently before the New Year when that four letter word diet happens.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...