Thursday, August 31, 2017

ISLAND VIGNETTE & KITCHEN STOOLS REFRESHED


I hope everyone is having an excellent week!
Around here we are slowly getting back to normal after Hurricane Harvey. 
We are also thinking constantly of our neighbors in Houston and praying this nightmare is over soon for them and 
they can start recovering from so much loss and chaos.

Today I am sharing with you a small summer vignette that has been displayed on our kitchen island for several weeks and a small project we did while we were at home for three days straight waiting for the hurricane to pass.
We had to do something to keep us sane! :)





I had been looking at this small galvanized tiered tray since the beginning of summer. 
It is from the Better Homes & Gardens collection from Walmart. The price then was $20.00 but I still wasn't sure about purchasing it.


Then in July I went to Walmart one morning and they were already reducing their summer items. The tiered tray was on sale for $8.00. At this point I just bought it, still not knowing what I was going to do with it, but for that price, 
I was not going to leave it behind.You can find it here.


It finally ended up on my kitchen island. Surprise! LOL
I decorated the top tray with some little glass bottles I had in my craft room. I bought those at Michael's a long time ago. The little " farmers market" wooden block my daughter bought for me from the Target dollar section. 
Great little find!


On the bottom tray I placed some old dishes from Homegoods and Kirklands and the Pioneer Woman napkins 
I already had.


And I added a little color to the vignette by placing next to it the old ceramic pitcher filled with greenery. 




And now, to our little DIY project.
You guys have seen our kitchen stools many times. We bought them years and years ago. :)



I never liked very much how dark they looked against the island, but they are very comfy and we use them all the time. So, they stayed.

In the last few weeks I noticed how the leather has slowly been sun bleached just from that sun that comes into our kitchen every afternoon. That's the Texas sun for you.

During one of my weekly trips to Joann Fabrics, I came across a really pretty remnant. The fabric was a beautiful and thick chenille and I right away knew it would be perfect to remake the stools. And the best part it only cost me $8.00.

Last week, while we were home bound due Hurricane Harvey, we decided it was the perfect time to tackle this project.

We started by turning the fabric inside out and marking all four corners. Then I took the fabric to the sewing machine and made four seams to create corners.




While I was doing this, my husband started to take the stools apart.



We turned the fabric on the right side and to my surprise, the little cover that I had made fit perfectly on the first try. That never happens!



I am actually really proud of my corners. :)

Using the staple gun, my husband started reupholstering the stools.
Meanwhile, I recovered the original buttons with the new fabric. To do this I cut a round circle about 1/4 inch bigger than the button. First I tried to sew it together on the back, but that didn't work. So I had to use the glue gun to tuck in the fabric behind the button and secure it down.




Soon we were ready to reinstall all the parts and before we knew it, we had ourselves some "new" stools.







I really want to paint the legs, but I am not sure what color would look nice, so for now, we left them alone.
I would love to hear any suggestions you may have.



The cost of this project was $4.00 each stool and our time.

And that is it for today.
Thank you all so much for stopping by and always taking the time to leave me a comment.
I probably won't be back on the blog until Monday since I have my grandbabies coming to visit this weekend and this grandmother has to get ready. :)

Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend everyone!
See you soon!




22 comments:

  1. Love the vignette and the stools look amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marty! I am glad I finally bought the tray. I don't know why I waited so long. :) Take care!

      Delete
  2. Great find and buy on that galvanized tray! You've decorated it beautifully and I'm sure it will come in handy for buffets, etc. Amazing job on those stools and when you can do it so cheaply, it's definitely a bonus. So glad to hear that you are not suffering ill effects from Harvey - been thinking of you a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for thinking of me Lori! I had a rough summer, but getting back to normal slowly. I think I will be able to use the tray also for Fall. The stools was an easy project and very economical. I just wish I could change the leg color. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  3. The galvanized tray is wonderful & you can't beat the $8.00 price tag! I'm thinking it could be a very versatile piece. The bar stools look fantastic. I love the new coverings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to hear from you Gina! I am so glad you are back blogging. When the tray dropped down to $8.00 I knew I had to bring it home. :) Enjoy the weekend.

      Delete
  4. Awesome job!! What a difference the new color makes! Hoping you all are high and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zenda! It was a fun project and very easy. We are finally dry around here and now cleaning up the bit of mess it left behind.

      Delete
  5. Love this Maria Elena! The galvanized tiered tray looks fun on your island and the way you styled it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey! Thank you! I always wanted a round galvanized tiered tray but this one was so inexpensive, I figured I could do something cute with it. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I like your island vignette! I bought the two tier round tray and ice bucket earlier this summer. I had my eye on the one you bought too. You got quite a deal on i t! I am so impressed with the stool makeovers. You both did a very rofessioal job on them and they show up much better now. We've been watching the news about Hurricane Harvey feeling overwhelmed seeing how bad it is. I pray for all of the displaced families and for those who lost their lives because of this storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! I am glad I waited to buy the tray, but I never thought it would go down in price that much. Recovering the stools was a fun project. I am glad we did it. They looks so much better now. I also pray for all the families affected by the hurricane. It was a very scary weekend!

      Delete
  7. Great job on the stools.... they look really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the queen of bargains! I love both the tray and the fabric and the stools look amazing. I am so impressed with your corners, too, and the buttons. I have done that before and it's not easy. Enjoy the look and your new stools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! I still can't believe we only paid $8.00 for the fabric. I love the new look! It has made the kitchen lighter. The buttons were a little hard to make. I have a button maker tool, but I couldn't use since we were trying to cover the existing buttons. It all worked out in the end. You know I am hardheaded. LOL

      Delete
  9. So glad you're safe and sound after the hurricane. "Nightmare" is a perfect description for what all those poor people are experiencing. Super cute vignette today! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel! It was very scary to watch on the news how the hurricane was approaching us and there wasn't a thing in the world we could do about it. We prepared for the worst and had a plan in mind in case we had to leave home in a hurry. We even packed a bag with important papers and belongings. I am just glad is all over now and pray everyone affected recuperates soon.

      Delete
  10. You are talented!!! Love the new look the stools have! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. I am also loving the new and lighter look of the stools.

      Delete
  11. The vignette looks great, and I can just see it with some "Fallish" things, too! The stools look brand new!

    So glad you guys were safe from the hurricane, but my heart hurts for those who lost so much.

    Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! Thank you! You read my mind. I plan to just keep the tray on the counter for Fall and add some pretty Autumn decor to it. I pray that everyone hit by this storm recuperates from it quickly with the help from the whole country and can rebuild their lives.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...