Thursday, April 27, 2017

AN EASY WAY TO WRAP BOOKS WITH FABRIC


I have always liked using book as part of my home decor.
Sometimes I use them just to add a little height to a decor item or to place on the coffee table as part of a vignette.
I had many of you email me asking for a tutorial of how I covered my books, so here it goes! 

This year while putting together our Spring mantle, I wanted the topiaries I used to decorate it to be a little higher. Our mantle is so tall and large that most decor items get lost up there. 




I knew I wanted to place two books under each one of them, but I wanted them to be white.
As I was in the middle of all this, my daughter came home and when I explained to her what I was trying to do, she was like, "oh, that is very easy, mom". Did I mentioned she was a librarian? :)

So I went to Walmart really quick looking for white fabric. And I guess it was meant to be since they had a large table of fabric bolts in the middle of the hallway for $1.00 a yard. The fabric I chose even has a little diamond design.
Hey, for one dollar, you can't ask for more! 

These are the items you will need.
One yard of fabric of your choice, book, clear tape and twine (optional)



On the way home from buying the fabric, I kept thinking how the colors of the books were going to show through the white fabric, but she assured me that was not an issue.
This is how she did it. She did not wrap the book itself, but used the book cover turned inside out. Brilliant!

All book covers have white backs, so even if you use a lighter fabric, nothing will ever show.
Here is a super simple tutorial:

First, remove your book cover.


Turned it inside out and fold the ends in.


Cut your fabric about three inches larger than your book cover all around. 
Place your fabric on the table with the back side up.
Place your cover on the fabric with the front of it facing you and make it as flat as possible.


Start folding your fabric as tight as you can lengthwise and secure it with tape. 
Turn it around and do the other side the same way.



Now you want to cut the extra fabric off both ends as close as you can to your cover.
She said that if you don't do this, the extra fabric will make the book stay open.



Place your book on the cover and make sure the spine lines up.


Fold one end and secure again with tape and repeat on the other side.


And you are done!


I wanted to add a little twine to mine, so I just made a bow around it and tied it on the front.



At this point I was so excited, I ended up wrapping five books. LOL Four for the mantle and one for the coffee table.


And here is the finished product.



And the best part is that your book doesn't get damaged.
You know you are getting old when your children start teaching you things. :)
I hope this simple project and tutorial helps you change the look of your books when using them to decorate your home. The cost was a whole dollar!

Thank you all for stopping by. I have been cleaning and sprucing our outdoor areas and working on a little DIY addition, so I will be back to share it with you as soon as I finish it. 

Enjoy the rest of your week!
XXX





6 comments:

  1. Great tutorial. I covered a few books with burlap years ago but it was difficult. This tutorial sounds much easier! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ME! It looks so good - tell your daughter she is awesome!

    I am so behind on my spring cleaning I may as well start putting spring decor away and just get out my Christmas stuff again before I find the energy and time to get it all done, haha.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking forward to this tutorial! This looks so easy. I have several books that I'd like to use in my decor, but they're the wrong color, so this is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always handy to have a librarian in the house! ;) This is a great idea, I have to pin it to remember...and that pretty fabric was only $1.00?? Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and you make it looks so simple! Can't wait to try it!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great idea!! It sure looks great, I will probably copy the idea and cover a few of our books. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...