Wednesday, May 29, 2013

NO SEW CANVAS DROP CLOTH OUTDOOR CURTAINS


Hard to believe it has been five years since I made the outdoor curtains for my back porch and I am very happy to report that after all this time, rain, heat, washing and drying them every year, they are holding up very well.

It was a project and a half! 
Not because they were difficult to make, but because I had to make eight very large curtains. Our porch in 12 feet high and each opening is 10 feet wide, so it took me about six whole days of cutting and ironing to finish the entire porch.





These are the items I used to make the curtains.
The canvas drop cloth I purchased from Lowe's. Lots of it! LOL I really liked this brand. 
The drop cloth color is very pretty and it is a little sturdier than others.

I made all the curtains using my favorite thing in the whole world, HeatBond iron-on adhesive which, by the way, 
has not come apart at all.




I don't really have a tutorial to give you on how to make these curtains. They are very simple.
Just measure your space, cut your fabric to the desired width and length, adding to those measurements  about 1 1/2 inches on the sides and top for your hem and 3 inches for the bottom.
I like my bottom hem to be a little wider.



 The biggest problem we had were the bars. We could not find anything that would fit those opening, so we had to fabricate some. We bought some regular iron rods and sprayed painted them ourselves. We used ring clips to hang them up and happy to report, those are also doing just fine.





 At first, I used decorative chain to secure them to the posts as you can see in the next few pictures.




 But it proved to be a mistake as soon as it got really windy, so I had to move on to plan B. Rope!





The porch has changed many times over the years, but the curtains have stayed.
I love the way they look and the warm feeling they give our porch either day or night. 
You don't realize how much they add to your space until you take them down to wash. :)

If you decide to tackle this project, my only advice is, be patient and make sure you wash your drop cloth before you start your project, because it will shrink. Believe me, I learned the hard way. 
I am just very glad I made my curtains a little long. :)

Tuesdays at Our Home link party is still open. You can find it here
Stop by and link your beautiful projects!


Thank you all for stopping by!



Sharing with:



39 comments:

  1. These look wonderful! Thank you for sharing how you made these. I love your porch! It' so pretty! I need to make these for my porch too. I appreciate the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your curtains! I, too, love the way the make the outdoor space feel more cozy! I agree that when I take my down, everything seems so bare!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love them and what a great idea. I need to make some for my patio, Thanks tons for joinig Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, now I have to add Heat Bond to my shopping list! They do look amazing, so romantic looking!
    Congrats on your new Etsy Shop...I know you will do well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria Elena- I love how they look and they have certainly stood the test of time. The really give a "rich" feel to the porch. Glad I can visit again now that I have a working computer- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "no sew" Maria elena! I have been planning to put outdoor curtains in my gazebo but have yet to find the time, this is perfect, your space now looks so much grander and cozier! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria Elena, what a wonderful idea, I love the curtains you made, and your porch looks so pretty. No sew, and good after five years is amazing. Have a great day.
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your curtains...they look fabulous.
    I like the rope tiebacks best, anyway. :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maria! Your curtains look wonderful and you did a great job on figuring out how to hang them. So lovely!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you find the iron rods?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - great idea - I'm going to Lowes to get me some drop clothes right away. Love your photos of your deck, it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these! And they are so perfect for the outdoors! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look wonderful
    I had wanted to do something similar to that on my patio and didn't have any walls so I hung lace curtains in a tree that hangs down over my patio
    That is how I got the name for my blog Curtains In My Tree

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these! Makes the back porch seem so cozy! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are absolutely fabulous and worth all the work that went into them!!

    I'm visiting today from Thursday's Favorite Things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are gorgeous, and you did such an amazing job! I am pinning these to a few of my favorite boards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is amazing what you can do with a drop cloth. I just made a rug with a drop cloth and spray paint. I think I should have washed it first now that I read your post. Fingers crossed. Those curtains look great and make your porch look so grand and luxurious. Stopping by from 52 Mantles

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully done. You did a great job...lot of work but well worth it! They add a touch of elegance to your back deck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very charming project with beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alot of work but it appears to be worth the trouble...and I am thankful for all of your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one awesome thrifty idea...thanks for sharing it at my party. Come by and grab my featured button for your blog...yes...you will be featured at Nifty Thrifty Tuesday on Monday.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. These turned out so nice! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love drop cloth fabric. Your porch curtains are really handsome and make the space cozy but not closed off. My hat's off to you for all that ironing! I bet you're really glad they're wearing so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always loved your patio. The curtains are great....they add such a softness to a hard space.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an inviting space! I love the curtains!

    I've shared today on my blog: http://www.52mantels.com/2013/06/summer-food-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like that outdoor space, it is vital to have a good patio area to enjoy this wonderful weather. This was a smart use of the dresser as well, very good fit for the television. I love the color of the bench as you did, I enjoy cooler colors in the spring and summer.

    Please visit My Webblog

    ReplyDelete
  28. How gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing at Redoux!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely beautiful--and I love that the curtains are no-sew! I featured you at Grace at Home--thanks so much for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You did a fab job. Draperies do add a touch of warmth and coziness to any space.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been wanting to make some outdoor curtains for years. Thanks for showing us how your turned out, nicely done!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  32. going right to lowes! bought curtains for outside. mold. new ones are 50. dollars a panel. going to start project tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like the chain tie-backs I just finished putting drop cloth curtains on my pergola and I was thinking rope tie-backs but the chains are really attractive. I am so glad to hear that your curtains have lasted so long. Thank you for sharing! This is just the type of blog I like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  34. 5 years? It seems like you made curtains sturdy enough to withstand unfavorable weather for that long of a time. It sure did take a lot of time to make them considering that you made eight large curtains. But, as you can see, the results are undeniably good. I hope you make more projects like this!

    Roxie Tenner @ Window Treatments Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  35. How do you keep them from getting moldy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I did do anything special for that, so far, no problem with mold.

      Delete
  36. Thanks for sharing outdoor curtain images and information.
    V&A Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is brilliant! We've been tossing around where to get the panels and this solves our problem and saves a ton of money!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...