Wednesday, November 1, 2017

REPOST / DIY THANKSGIVING PLACEMATS

Hello everyone.
I hope your week is going well and that you had a fun Halloween.
So hard to believe today is already November 1st!
It seems to me every year the holidays get here faster and faster. :)

This year I won't be hosting Thanksgiving, so that takes a little stress off me, but, for those of you that are having a full house and need to set a pretty table, I decided to repost how I made some very easy and economical Thanksgiving burlap placemats a couple of years ago.





They are very simple, as you can see, but I think they went nicely with the rest of the setting I had planned that year.
This is a small tutorial on how I made them. Very easy!

First, choose your burlap. I went with a more rustic one from Hancock Fabrics, but any burlap will work well.
 
I needed to make 10 placemats, so I bought 2 1/2 yards at $3.99 a yard.
I had a 50% off coupon, so I was able to get all the fabric I needed for $5.00.


I wanted the placemats to be square, exactly 13" x 13".
I cut the fabric a little longer, about 1 1/2 inches all around and then measured an inch off all four sides and 
sew a straight line all around.



 Then all you do to fray your edges is start pulling the extra strings off to create the little fringe.
The line you sew is going to prevent your fabric from unraveling.


 As soon as that is done, just trim it down to about an inch.


 With that all finished, I made a stencil using freezer paper and the Silhouette Cameo, but, of course, you can use 
any stencil you may like to decorate your placemats.



 Love this method of using stencils because all you do is iron it to your fabric and it stays in place



 And then you are ready to start stenciling any letters or design you like.




 I wanted to add a little embellishment to them so I went to Michaels and found these tiny Fall brads. 
I once again used a coupon so I paid about $1.50 for them.




And here is the finished product.



 I was able to make ten placemats for $6.50 and my time.
Not bad!
And I got so many compliments from my guests. Nobody could believe that they were homemade. :)

I hope this post gives you the inspiration to make your own placemats for any time of the year.
Thank you all so much for stopping by.

See you soon!





5 comments:

  1. This is so pretty Maria Elena! Thanks for thinking of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, Maria! Thanks for reposting them. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reposting! Very pretty placemats and TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindo, muito lindo. Uma belíssima ideia. Abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty project. love it. Thanks for sharing. Warm regards Sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...